Senior Communications Specialist
Full-time project position
Colorado WINS is the union representing more than 29,000 state employees who work to ensure our quality of life in communities across the state. We care for veterans, the sick, and the disabled; we maintain the safety and use of our roads and bridges; we protect the quality of our drinking water and air; we provide stewardship to public lands and boost tourism; we keep our jails and communities secure and provide many other essential services to keep Colorado running smoothly.
Purpose of Position
The Colorado WINS Communications Specialist is responsible for communications support of organizing, political action, and other activities of the union to build power for state employees and amplify their voices. The communications specialist will have direct responsibility for developing and coordinating communications strategy, media relations, digital marketing, social media, and messaging for campaign and other union projects.
(Position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a complete list of expected duties to be performed.)
- Develops and executes digital and traditional communications strategies and tactics to support the field efforts of Colorado state employees to build their union, enhance the union’s identity, and build the union’s reputation among state employees, legislators, and the public at large.
- Manages media relations in coordination with the campaign director, community coalitions and spokespeople. Conducts media outreach, coordinates interviews, develops strong relationships with reporters, maintains clips file.
- Manages digital marketing, social media properties, email program and the union’s website. Tracks and reports results to campaign director regularly.
- Collaborates with the campaign director and staff members to gather photos, videos, quotes and other communications materials.
- Designs and lays out a variety of printed and online collateral.
- Develops strong public spokespeople to confidently speak on union issues to the community, their coworkers and in media interviews.
- Writes newsletters, talking points, speeches, leaflets, press materials, letters to the editor, op-eds, background pieces and other collateral materials.
- Assists state employees with writing letters to the editor, op eds and blog posts.
- Trains members and staff on communications best practices.
- Manages campaign event logistics and communications including strategy, message, location, signage, visuals, materials, agenda, media outreach, spokesperson prep and coordinating interviews.
- Performs other duties as required to support the local and its mission.
- Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to “manage by influence.” High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force.
- Demonstrated commitment to racial and social justice with a track record of success working on communications for campaigns centered in communities of color or that involve women or low-income people.
- Self starter who takes initiative, resolves challenges and manages own work with minimal supervision.
- Experience creating and implementing digital strategies, tactics and creating social media content including videos.
- Thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives simultaneously using a highly collaborative work style
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or a related field. Three years of related work experience or a combination of education and experience that would provide the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Experience developing and implementing communications strategies on a wide range of campaigns, including organizing, contract, political, and legislative, as well as experience working with community allies.
- Thorough knowledge of media relations strategies.
- Excellent writing, verbal, interpersonal and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated capacity to continuously develop skills in rapidly changing technology.
- Experience with VAN/EveryAction and/or similar CRM systems and basic HMTL skills preferred.
- Ability to design eye-catching content using the Adobe Suite a plus.
- Highly proficient in WordPress or similar CMSs.
- Familiarity with digital and social media advertising.
- Bilingual in Spanish is a plus but not required.
Work is generally performed in an office setting. Long and extended hours and travel may be required.
How to Apply
Colorado WINS is an equal opportunity employer that values and respects the diversity of its staff. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Please email your resume, cover letter and salary requirements to Janet Veum at firstname.lastname@example.org.