Full-time project position
Colorado WINS is the union representing more than 29,000 state employees who work to ensure our quality of life in communities across the state. We care for veterans, the sick, and the disabled; we maintain the safety and use of our roads and bridges; we protect the quality of our drinking water and air; we provide stewardship to public lands and boost tourism; we keep our jails and communities secure and provide many other essential services to keep Colorado running smoothly.
Purpose of the Position
The Data Specialist will assist in the development and implementation of member and organizing database support for various efforts within the union to ensure that information is accurate, comprehensive, and secure and that users can receive needed information from the databases.
(Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.)
- Assists in the implementation of database operations for member and general public communication efforts.
- Advises, assists, and trains staff to use database tools such as NGPVAN as well as data enhancement warehouses and mobile organizing applications.
- Assists in coordination with internal departments or vendors to maintain accurate lists and provides reports, lists, and other materials to support efforts.
- Maintains security procedures to ensure the safety and integrity of data and paper lists. Maintains user access; maintains user passwords, and procedures to ensure onsite and offsite backup of data.
- Imports and exports files between formats and programs such as Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, delimited text files, and a variety of file formats including utilizing email and web-based applications.
- Maintains or oversees maintenance of database files including original materials such as lists, authorization cards, etc.
- Assists in writing training and operations materials. Trains campaign staff to access system-generated reports for campaign needs. Trains database staff to produce custom reports as needed.
- Performs other duties as required to assist the union.
Education and Experience
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor’s degree in a related field or a combination of three years of education and work experience that would provide for the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Ability to analyze data and make sound, logical conclusions.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in politically sensitive situations.
- Ability to train users to operate the systems.
- Demonstrated experience in managing large amounts of data, importing and exporting data, implementing security systems and procedures, writing and training users to use technology.
- Demonstrated experience working with Microsoft software, installing hardware and software, monitoring equipment and software and making recommendations to solve problems.
- Knowledge of online databases – NGPVAN and EveryAction strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of political canvass data operations preferred.
- Knowledge of labor organizing methods preferred.
- Must be able to act and organize time with independence.
- Must be able to handle multiple priority projects simultaneously and meet established deadlines.
- Advanced Excel skills or SQL needed.
- Skill in the use of geographic and mapping software or data visualization software a plus.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs, database design, importing and exporting files between formats and programs including utilizing email and web-based applications.
Salary & Benefits
Salary and benefits are competitive
Colorado with focus in the Denver and Pueblo areas. Some travel may be required. Long and irregular hours.
Colorado WINS is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to Sarah.Saheb@seiu.org.