Annual Salary – Between $70,000 and $80,000/YR
Location: Colorado (Denver and other locations in Colorado
Be part of making organizing history in Colorado.
Colorado just joined the ranks of 36 states that have collective bargaining right for public employees. Colorado WINS is looking to build a statewide team to organize 28,000 state employees in a game-changing campaign to win new investment in public services and the workers who provide those services. We need an energetic organizing director to lead the work of organizing state employees and help to build a powerful statewide organization. The organizing director will lead an organizing team that is working to build membership and leadership in Colorado WINS.
Colorado WINS is a joint affiliate of the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) and the American Federation of Teachers (AFT). Our union is leading the work for all people to have unions, no matter the job that they do. We are state employees who come from every walk of life, every political party, every background, every faith. We provide essential public services. We are fighting for a just society where all families and communities can thrive, and where we leave a better and more equitable world for generations to come.
The Organizing Director will lead an organizing team that is working to build membership and leadership in Colorado WINS.
We need an energetic Organizing Director to lead the work of organizing 28K state employees and help to build a powerful statewide organization.
- Works as part of the union’s senior leadership team to develop and implement a long term strategic growth plan
- Leads planning, strategy, and implementation of all organizing drives
- Develops political and community support for organizing campaigns
- Work with the SEIU Public Sector Division to carry out organizing program
- Coordinates work with internal organizing staff and officers
- Hires, trains, supports and oversees organizers
- Supervises staff in developing and maintaining organizing committees, including training, guidance, oversight and accountability of staff in performance of their duties
- Coordinate the development of a member organizing committee
- Organize actions, petition drives, membership blitzes
- Other duties as required
- At least three years’ experience running organizing campaigns
- Three years supervisory experience, supervising a team of organizers.
- Ability to train and develop new organizers
- Thorough knowledge of labor organizing planning and development.
- Knowledge of strategies and tactics used to organize and lead workers, including managing data, organizing reports, digital organizing, and organizer turf.
- Knowledge of unions and their issues.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; ability to make formal presentations, and conduct trainings.
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Experience with supervision, team building and leadership development
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Experience with VAN and other organizing databases
- Ability to handle multiple “priority” projects and meet established timelines.
- Ability to work effectively with elected leaders and members in complex, political situations.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary range is between $70k to $80k per year, including a generous benefits package.
Application Requirements: A resume is required for all applications (and a cover letter is highly recommended). The cover letter should explain the reason for wanting to work for Colorado WINS to include an example of a demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into the applicant’s long-term career plan. Applications can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Colorado WINS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.